What is GROW?
GROW = G21 Region Opportunities for Work
GROW is a joint regional initiative between Give Where You Live Foundation and G21 – Geelong Region Alliance. Our partners are from across all sectors and of all sizes, working together to demonstrate that our G21 community cares for the well-being of ALL its members.
By aligning our efforts, we can tackle the place-based disadvantage that stems from joblessness, and improve the economic and social prosperity of the whole G21 region.
The data shows that disadvantage in our region is getting worse, not better, so this is the time to try something new and to do things differently – join GROW now and sign up to the GROW principles:
- Support local businesses and organisations to improve economic and social outcomes.
- Support social enterprises and not-for-profit businesses which deliver social outcomes.
- Strengthen employment and training opportunities for targeted job seekers.
- Collaborate with other GROW members to address disadvantage and support economic participation in our region.
- Reflect this commitment in our policy and practice.
Addressing Disadvantage has been a G21 priority project since 2011.
The G21 Board was concerned that, despite opportunities presented by population and industry growth, access to social and economic benefits are not evenly distributed across the region.
The Addressing Disadvantage Taskforce was commissioned by the G21 Board in March 2011 to examine models for addressing disadvantage that might be applied to the G21 region
The Taskforce comprised representatives from local government, education, community and business organisations and explored different approaches
Give Where You Live (GWYL) had similar interests and formed a Memorandum of Understanding in 2014 with G21 to develop and implement GROW.